- Oct 27
The Martinsburg Police Department is Hiring!
Police Civil Service Commission
Notice of Testing
Competitive Examination and Certified List of Eligibility
to Probationary Police Officer in the Martinsburg Police Department
Notice is hereby given pursuant to the West Virginia Code 8-14-13, that position(s) for the rank of Probationary Police Officer exist in the Martinsburg Police Department and will be filled by appointment by the City Manager from a list of eligibles certified by the Martinsburg Police Civil Service Commission.
In order to be placed on the list of eligibles, an interested party must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 40 at the time of the application.
- Secure, from the City Recorder’s office or online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org an application for employment for the position of probationary Police Officer. The correct application MUST be completed, verified and returned to the City Recorder no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, January 5, 2018. Applicants will be notified of the time and place of testing, and must undergo and achieve a passing score on a competitive written exam, date, time and location to be announced.
- On the date of the exam, successful applicants will achieve a passing score on a physical agility screening test for WV state and local law enforcement officers. Certification of a physician will be required prior to participating in any physical testing and must be presented on the date of the exam.
- Undergo a complete medical examination testing the applicant’s general physical condition in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Undergo a complete psychiatric examination testing the applicant’s mental stability for appointment in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Submit to and cooperate with authorities in a background investigation as to the applicant’s suitability for the position.
- Appear for scheduled oral interviews.
- Submit to any additional examinations as to the applicant’s suitability for the position in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
Probationary Police Officer is a pay grade 18, beginning at $41,611. Employees of the City of Martinsburg are provided a range of fringe benefits including vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, health/life/dental and vision insurance, longevity pay, police pension and modified take home vehicle policy.
Applicants with a current WV Law Enforcement Certification will receive a $3,000.00 sign on bonus, if hired.
West Virginia residency is NOT required, however, officers must live within 25 air miles of the Town Square within 90 days of employment.
Anyone not meeting the above requirement, as set by the Commission, will NOT be placed on the list of elibibles.
The City of Martinsburg is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Martinsburg Police Civil Service Commission.