A Message from Mayor Karos
The City of Martinsburg, recognized as the "fastest growing City in the State" is known as the "Gateway to the Shenandoah Valley." Located in the heart of the Eastern Panhandle, the City serves as the county seat to Berkeley County.
The City of Martinsburg is proud of the services provided to residents and businesses and its recognition of housing and commercial developments. Downtown revitalization, interstate/highway corridor commerce and agricultural activity, along with strong community values and commitment, open the "welcome" mat for visitors and companies looking to locate in our wonderful City. Recent developments in infrastructure improvements (water, sewer and highways) and growth through annexation will allow Martinsburg to continue to be the leader in the Quad-State area.
The City of Martinsburg is experiencing economic growth due to its proximity to Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD metropolitan areas, yet offers the serenity of small town living. The City of Martinsburg also provides for several recreational, cultural and arts activities. War Memorial Park, in particular, is host to swimming, entertainment and fairs and festivals throughout the year. Several other parks provide for youth activities as well. The Apollo Theatre, The Arts Centre, Belle Boyd House, Adam Stephen House and the Apple Harvest Festival provide for year-round culture and arts, historic sites and tourism for the community and visitors.
The City of Martinsburg is pleased to provide an opportunity for citizens to communicate electronically and participate in their local government. The City of Martinsburg is located in the heart of downtown at 232 North Queen Street, Martinsburg, West Virginia 25401. For inquiries or questions you may contact City Hall at (304) 264-2131.
Mayor George Karos
City of Martinsburg: 17,668
Berkeley County: 108,706
City of Martinsburg: 6.67 square miles
Berkeley County: 322 square miles
Washington DC: ~78 miles
Baltimore, MD: ~90 miles
Winchester, VA: ~25 miles
Hagerstown, MD: ~21 miles
The settlement of Martinsburg was founded in 1778 during the Revolutionary War by General Adam Stephen. It was named in honor of Colonel Thomas Bryan Martin.
The Roundhouse and Station Complex was constructed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O).
In May of 1861, Stonewall Jackson captured locomotives and train cars near the Martinsburg train depot. He had them disassembled and moved to Strasburg, Virginia by horse teams.
Isabelle "Belle" Boyd, a confederate spy, was arrested in Martinsburg by the Union Army and imprisoned. Her home is now maintained by the Berkeley County Historical Society as a museum.
On July 14, 1877, the Great Railroad Strike began in Martinsburg in response to the cutting of wages for the third time in a year by the B&O Railroad. It spread to several other states over the next 45 days before it was ended by militias and federal troops.