Social Media Profiles
The Martinsburg Police Department actively uses social media as a tool to share information with our community. We do this through our official Facebook page and Twitter account. This is done as a service to the community and we ask that all social media users interacting with our accounts observe the following guidelines to maintain the value and family-friendly nature of our web presence.
If you need police assistance for an emergency or to report a crime, please DO NOT use our social media accounts. For emergencies, call 911. For non-emergencies within the Martinsburg city limits, call Martinsburg Police Dispatch at 304-264-2100. If you are located outside of the Martinsburg city limits, contact Berkeley County Central Dispatch at 304-263-1330 or 911.
Social media accounts maintained by the Martinsburg Police Department (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, etc.) by their nature are a limited forum for the discussion of posted topics related to the Martinsburg Police Department. They are also designed to family friendly, so please keep all comments clean. In addition to keeping it family friendly, we ask that you follow our posting guidelines here. Please note, we utilize Facebook’s automatic content filtering feature. All City of Martinsburg social media content is subject to monitoring. User-generated posts will be rejected or removed, and the user could be blocked, when the content of a post is determined to contain any of the following violations:
• Contains obscenities or offensive terms.
• Is threatening, harassing, or discriminatory.
• Contains personal identifying information or sensitive personal information.
• Includes personal attacks.
• Incites or promotes violence or illegal activities.
• Contains information that could reasonably compromise public safety.
• Advertises or promotes a commercial product or service, or any entity or individual.
• Promotes or endorses political campaigns or candidates.
• Is off-subject or out of context.
• Apparent spam will be removed.
• We do not allow repetitive posts.
• We do not allow comments which may interfere or inhibit / compromise current investigations, police tactics, and the safety of police staff and officers.
• We do not allow posts or comments that contain any external links.
• No "trolling"
The Martinsburg Police Department also reserves the right and sole discretion to remove its own postings from its social media accounts. MPD can not control the removal of comments associated with removed posts.
The Martinsburg Police Department’s use of external social media is provided as a public service. The City of Martinsburg disclaims liability for advertisements, videos, promoted content, or comments accessible from any external web page. The responsibility for external content of comments rests with the organizations or individuals providing them. Any inclusion of external content or comments on social media sites does not imply endorsement by the City of Martinsburg or the Martinsburg Police Department.
To make a Police Service Inquiry or Complaint, you may call 304-264-2100 or you may file an inquiry or complaint in person at the department's headquarters, located at 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401.
All individuals who appear on MPD social media accounts as persons of interest, suspects, or wanted individuals are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
For further information about the Martinsburg Police Department, visit http://www.MartinsburgPD.org, email email@example.com, or call 304-264-2100.